Grievances And Problems

The Collective Agreement is a contract between teachers and the government established through negotiation. The quality of the contract depends on the unions establishing a rapport de force that can force the government to give into our demands.

At a local level, the government is represented by the local administration (Dawson administrators). Teachers are represented by their local union (the DTU). The DTU is the only legally mandated representative of the teachers.

When a problem occurs, the DTU meets with the college administration to try to find an acceptable solution. If a solution is not found acceptable to the teacher and the union, pressure tactics can be begun to force the college to change its position and/or a grievance can be filed by either the teacher or the union. The DTU can bring the grievance to the CRT (ComitÚ des relations de travail) where the DTU and the local administration meet to discuss issues and seek resolution. (In some cases the DTU goes directly to arbitration.)

If there is still no satisfactory solution, the DTU can file a demand for arbitration. This will be heard before an arbitrator delegated from a list of arbitrators found in the collective agreement. The arbitrator's decision is binding on the college and the union. However, the decision of an arbitrator is not binding on other colleges. This means that similar important questions can be brought before an arbitrator by several colleges.

At an arbitration hearing the DTU and the teachers concerned are represented by a FNEEQ counselor, free of charge. Most of the FNEEQ counselors are lawyers. All have considerable experience in arbitrations and with the contracts.

It is possible in some cases to appeal an arbitration decision to the Superior Court. In those cases either the government or the unions will appeal. It is also possible sometimes to take a case to the Commission des Relations de Travail.

A teacher cannot file a grievance against another teacher. He or she can only file a grievance against the College (who represents the government).